Friday, November 16, 2007

chapter 3 of don't waste your life is on boasting only in the cross. piper starts with "the opposite of wasting your life is living life by a single-God exalting, soul-satisfying passion (43)," and he ends with "every enjoyment in this life and the next that is not idolatry is a tribute to the infinate value of the cross of Christ - the burning center of the glory of God. And thus a cross-centered, cross-exalting, cross-saturated life is a God-glorifying life - the only God glorifying life. All others are wasted (59)."

side note: Piper's words in this book are really intense as to what constitutes as a wasted life. I think it is good to think about the reason we live our life and that the utmost reason is to live for Jesus but Jesus also wants us to enjoy our lives, right? (Which would include enjoying rest from retirement which Piper sometimes seems a little bitter towards.)

That is not the point i wanted to blog about this though. The point is that i have thought about this issue before, like what is my single passion for living most simply stated? It deals so much with identity and purpose for life being able to state why you live life the way you do and how you will be living for Christ when you are able to state what your solitary passion is. I have not yet been able to eloquently state my SINGLE PASSION in a sentence or without listing things i care about...but today after reading this chapter, God and I came up with something. So here, we'll call this my working definition of my single passion for life:

My passion is to see myself and others care about their decisions and actions.

As I am thinking about it right now, this seems to encompass all that drives me. Justice, courtesy to others, not living in ignorance, helping others, challenging yourself (especially with your intellect), equality, love, etc etc. Like I said though...working definition. But I am happy to have it right now.

No comments: