Friday, March 06, 2009

interesting insights from this weeks sojo mail:
"The invisible hand let go of some things, like the common good. The idea that policies which benefit the wealthiest will eventually benefit everyone has proven false. " "The growing inequality in America over decades is a sin of biblical proportions." Jim Wallis. Jim states he believes Obama's budget proposal is good since its main focus is on health care, climate change, and education. "I believe it is time to stop helping the undeserving rich, under the now demonstrably false assertion that this will then benefit the rest of us. When the top 1 percent of the country now get 20 percent of its income, control 33 percent of its wealth, and pay a smaller percentage of their income in taxes than their receptionists do (as Warren Buffet has pointed out)—something has gone terribly wrong in America. The new Obama budget is the first and dramatic step to fix all that, and turn the nation in a different direction."
agreed - the inequality has been OUT OF CONTROL (or rather neglected to be controlled) and I sure hope Wallis is right with Obama's plans.

2 comments:

bdraeger said...

Jim Wallis is a cool guy (I heard him speak a few years ago).

I also think it's really cool that you actually read your SojoMail. I somehow never get around to it.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the comment bethany! how've you been? graduating this year?? what's next for you?